We’ve teamed up with the people at Ultrasun to help make sure your little ones enjoy their time in the sun this summer whilst staying safe. Ultrasun offers high performance sun protection for the whole family. We’ve also rounded up our best sun protection products here, to ensure the kids are safe from sunburn!
Why is the sun dangerous?
Although we should all protect ourselves from the sun, children’s skin is extra delicate and sensitive to the effects of UV rays, which can cause skin cancer later in life. Little ones are also less able to regulate their body temperature, putting them more at risk of overheating and becoming dehydrated.
What should you do to protect babies and children from the sun?
Apply sun cream
• Apply sun cream 15-30 minutes before going out in the sun
• Should be applied on cool, clean, dry skin ideally indoors
• Apply liberally to exposed parts of the body (don’t forget necks and ears!)
• Babies under 6 months shouldn’t be exposed to the sun
• Cover the skin with protective clothes
• Protect the head and face with a wide-brimmed hat or bonnet
• Use a stroller with a canopy or hood
• Keep out of the sun and stay indoors or in the shade between 11am and 3pm
• You can still get sunburn in cloudy weather
• Over 90% of UV rays can penetrate light cloud cover
• Remember: the shorter your own shadow, the higher the sun and the greater the risk
• Give babies regular feeds
• If you are breastfeeding, don’t forget to consume extra fluids yourself
• Older babies and children should be given plenty of fluids to drink
Make sun protection part of the family daily routine
• Add it to the morning ritual before school or going out to play
• Remember UV sensitivity increases as kids get hot and sweaty, making sunburn more likely
• Instil sun safe habits from birth
Know your labels
• Check your sun cream has an adequate SPF and strong UV protection
• There is a difference between SPF 50 and 50+. SPF 50+ must achieve at least SPF 58 to get the ‘+’
• Check the % of UVA protection. The EU standard is 33% but brands such as Ultrasun have over 90%
By following our tips, you can relax knowing you’re keeping your family safe in the sun. Now, let’s keep our fingers crossed for some sunny spells this summer!