These tiny fruit muffins are delicious – the fruit puree makes them really moist. They’re so easy to make and only need 20 minutes in the oven, so they’re a perfect afternoon baking activity for you and your little ones. Get them stuck in with the egg-cracking, stirring and sprinkling – so much messy fun to be had! Take a look at lots more child-friendly recipes in the Ella’s Kitchen Cookbook, out now.
Makes: 12 muffins
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
You will need:
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 75g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125g strawberries or raspberries, pureed (reserve a few whole berries) or 1 x 90g pouch of Ella’s Kitchen Smoothie Fruits – The Red One
- 50g raisins
- 50g finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Porridge oats, to sprinkle
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line a mini muffin tin with paper cake cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and stir well to combine. Sift flour and baking powder and stir again. Finally, stir in the pureed strawberry or raspberry and the raisins, then the walnuts (if using).
3. Divide the mixture between the cake cases, filling each about three-quarters full so that the muffins have room to rise. Sprinkle a few porridge oats over each muffin.
4. Bake for 20 minutes until the muffins are firm to the touch and golden brown on top.
5. Cool them on a wire rack before serving. They will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.